Notifications
Clear all

Arthur Zang Cardiopad touchpad

Justine Akwanka
Topic starter
(@akwan09k01a)

Despite the fact that the business environment remains difficult in Cameroon,these young people embody a highly enthusiastic succession,read r to share their experiences.

Arthur Zang. " Turning startups into industries" 

Cardiopad: Reaching the Heart of rural communities in Africa.

He invented a cardiopad,a touchpad with applications for medical uses and manages start_up Himore medical equipment. When I set up my company in 2014, I had been working on research and development for Cardiopad for five years. The idea came about through the meeting with the cardiologist Samuel kingue in 2009. He told me about the problems he had diagnosing patients in remote areas. We work for a year on the development of the Cardiopad, which allows remote cardiograms to be conducted. I sent my project to Microsoft for the imagine Cup competition which is organized every year. This prize allowed me to receive the equipment I needed to develop my operating system then to obtain a bank loan. In 2011 I recorded a video about how the prototype of the Cardiopad works and I posted it on YouTube. There were reports in the press which was noticed by President Paul biya. He allocated me a EUR  35000grant to make the first appliances. He has been able to get loans from local banks of about EUR 50000 because of the guarantees he has. This banks also prefinance the manufacturing of the tablets,on the bases it the purchase order. Since the establishment of the company,it has been able to employ a total of 14 employees and its investment exceeds EUR 500m, which mainly comes from shareholders in the private sector of Cameroon who believe in the project. Some 300 tablets have been sold since January 2016, in Central Africa, the comoroCand even in Nepal. The company sells them to hospitals for USD 3000 each and they subsequently rent them to patients for a yearly subscription of USD 29. 

Some of the problems faced by  Arthur Zang in the development of his cardiopad.

Despite having access to finance, there were some obstacles in his startup. The obstacle my startup came up against relate to mastering the manufacturing process from a technical point of view. As there is no local industry for medical equipment, we had to find foreign partners , in China and Korea to manufacture the components which we subsequently assemble in Yaounde. 

Arthur Zang says if we are to talk about innovative in Africa, a continent which does not yet have the laboratories it deserves, research needs to be taken much more seriously. " Given the budget allocated to universities, Africa is still a long way off being the leader in innovation. There is no innovation without research due to lack of finance. Raising funds to develop ideas is still not very common in our countries. Hence describing Africa as the new Eldorado of innovation leaves me skeptical.

Benefits of the Cardiopad

The invention of the Cardiopad has really been of great benefits to many people in Cameroon and the whole of Africa. This device has helped save so many lives, and the reliability of the pad device is as high as 97.5%.  

With the help of the Cardiopad,sev seve medical tests have been carried out which have been validated by the cameroonian scientific community.

The cardiopad has ease people from remote areas the stress and cost from traveling to town as the patients are being examined by the nurses assembled in the villages and the results are transmitted from the nurses tablets to that of the doctor who then interprets them. 

With the aid of this device, patients with heart ailments can now be sure of a quick and faster way to meet their doctors without booking for appointments in advance. 

Difficulties face in reaching these remote areas with the Cardiopad.

Identifying and locating this heart patients suffering from  heart problems like cardiac arrest and heart failure was difficult since they had to travel in different remote villages looking for health centers and enquiring from the local nurse's the kind of disease the inhabitants suffer in that area.

Spoiler

Share: